When someone pays you a compliment, you can almost immediately tell if it’s a sincere one or if it’s actually a sugar coated insult from Satan himself. This is what people really mean when they give you backhanded compliments:
1. Backhanded compliment: I love your jersey! I have a similar one but I’m not brave enough to wear it to work.
Translation: You look like a homeless person. I would only wear a jersey like that when I’m in a near comatose state in bed with the flu.
2. Backhanded compliment: You are VERY photogenic.
Translation: You look WAY better on photos than you do in person. Those Instagram filters do wonders for the face, hey?
3. Backhanded compliment: Your shoes look so comfy. I love how you’re so practical!
Translation: You look like one of those soccer moms from Milnerton.
4. Backhanded compliment: That’s a quirky look. You’re so brave when it comes to fashion.
Translation: Remember when Bjork wore that swan dress? That’s what you remind me of.
5. Backhanded compliment: Oh wow, you look so pretty here, I didn’t even recognize you in this picture.
Translation: You usually look like a snaggletooth savage, but with make-up and a cute outfit you actually pass as a decent human being.
6. Backhanded compliment: You’re surprisingly funny.
Translation: You don’t look like you could make people laugh. You look like you should be working at a funeral home.